Prospective Press is now accepting manuscripts. Submitted manuscripts must be original and unpublished. Desirable manuscript lengths are 65k to 100k-words for adult fiction, 60k to 85k for young adult, 45k to 70k for mid-grade, and typically no more than 40k for elementary school age. Pre-reader and Early Reader works are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, but should be of reasonable length. Please do not submit fan fiction. Read the entire Instructions section below and follow the directions before submitting.
Prospective Press is now accepting short story submissions. Submitted stories must be original and unpublished. Story length of 2k to 15k-words is encouraged, but we will read everything from flash to novella-length works. Please do not submit fan fiction. Read the entire Instructions section below and follow the directions before submitting.
We are now specifically seeking short fiction in these genres:
Science Fiction — with a focus on AI, Cybernetics, and Man/Machine relations in SF Dystopian & SF Utopian settings;
Speculative Fiction — focused on Urban Fantasy, Dark Fantasy, Modern Horror, 20-Minutes in the Future, AltHist, and Cyberpunk & other punks;
Horror and Paranormal — specifically stories related to hearses, morgues, mortuaries, graveyards & cemeteries, mausoleums, and funerary rites.
Instructions for prospective Prospective Press authors
Read these instructions carefully; incorrectly formatted submissions will be read last, if at all. The subject line should be formatted as such:
Query for (genre) manuscript (MS title) by (author) for (target age), (word count) words.
Submissions should be contained exclusively within the body of the e-mail message (attachments will not be opened and links will not be followed) and consist of:
1) salutation, author(s) name, tentative title, word count, prior publication record, and relevant contact information;
2) query letter section--neatness and form count—containing a short summary and a long summary; and
3) the first 5,000-words (approx. 20 pages) of the MS (or up to 5,000 for shorter works) embedded in the body of the message.
Allow six to twelve weeks for a response if submitting unsolicited materials. Multiple concurrent submissions to the press may be made so long as only one MS is included in each query. We discourage the submission of manuscripts that are concurrently submitted to other publishers.
We read a cross section of genre fiction—in all age ranges: Elementary, Mid-grade, Young Adult, and Adult—and some non-fiction.
We DO Not take Poetry (please see Press 53), erotica, clichéd romance, pornography, mysticism, devotionals, miracle diet books, memoirs, biographies, fan fiction, horror porn, or political screeds.
We are currently reading for publication in 2019
We are recruiting short stories for the following 2018 anthologies:
1) Off the Beaten Path 3 — eight more tales of the paranormal. If you have a ghost story, send it. This will likely be a standard royalties model anthology and has an open call for manuscripts, so share around. Word count guidelines 2-10k. These anthologies are limited to eight authors at a time, so the total length is difficult to determine ahead of time, but has historically run to around 25k words (yes, these are short anthologies). Juried. No deadline at this time.
2) Tales From the Old Black Ambulance — a horror anthology that we will be attempting to fund via a Kickstarter campaign. This anthology has an open call for manuscripts and will pay 4¢ per word, if funded. Word count guidelines 5-10k, for a total length of 100k. Open for horror and weird stories about graveyards, cemeteries, mausoleums, morgues, funeral homes, funerary rites, and, of course, hearses. Juried. Deadline for submission is Jan 31st 2018. Accepted authors are expected to participate in anthology promotion during the Kickstarter campaign.
3) Concrete Dreams — an Urban Fantasy anthology that we will be attempting to fund via a Kickstarter campaign. This anthology has an open call for manuscripts and will pay 4¢ per word, if funded. Word count guidelines 8-10k, for a total length of 120k. Open for any Urban Fantasy ("Modern" fantasy, essentially fantasy set in the era of paved roads) submission. Juried. Deadline for submission is Jan 31st 2018. Accepted authors are expected to participate in anthology promotion during the Kickstarter campaign.
Other Anthologies coming soon...
For manuscript-length works: firstname.lastname@example.org
For short fiction works: email@example.com
Website and Content © Prospective Press LLC, 2015-2017. Not to be used without written permission of Prospective Press. All Rights Reserved.